Pages

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Ironing Board Cover Tutorial

I have had a little ironing board since college. It works great for small sewing projects, but the cover was stained and just downright ugly. I decided to make a new one!

I found a man's yellow polo shirt in the Goodwill pile. I cut it off below the armpits. Then I cut down the side to open it up into a large piece of cloth.
I removed the old, stained cover and used it to measure. I cut an extra 1/2" all the way around the cover for a seam allowance. Then I folded it over 1/2" and pinned it in place.
Then I sewed it into place, leaving an opening to run a cord through (you could use elastic, but my original board used a cord which was stapled to the board). Then I ran the cord and finished it off!
After that
This is the before picture:
This is the after:I'm happy with it. And it didn't cost me a thing!


2 comments:

  1. It cost you the price of the shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. But I got it from the Goodwill PILE, BEFORE it left for Goodwill! And it wasn't my shirt. I wouldn't wear anything that color!! So yes, it cost someone ELSE the price of the shirt O:-)

    ReplyDelete

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!