Pages

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Newborn Pants

I used the pattern from Made By Rae to make these pants. I did add a ruffle to the bottom of the girly version I made. I did not hem any of them...I used old t-shirts and was going to hem the boy version, but I was afraid they'd be too short!

(We have babies with long legs around here!) Since they're t-shirts, they won't fray.
For the boy version, I did two small fabric stamps on other t-shirt scraps and sewed them onto the pants like patches.
Here is the back:


To start the pants, I cut two pieces of the pattern just like it says. I also cut a few 1" strips of fabric for the ruffles.

I sewed the intended ruffle strips together at the ends, pressed them flat, and then gathered them (using the lowest tension on the machine and the longest running stitch length.)

Then, I attached the gathered strip (sewing right sides together) to the bottom of the pant leg. (Note, it is the shorter inseam of the two. I did it incorrectly the first time and had to remove it!)

After attaching the ruffle, I pressed it on the right side of the pants to make it flat. Then I just followed the rest of the tutorial and sewed the front and back seams.

I finished up by sewing around both legs. I clipped the seams to remove excess fabric.
I followed the pattern to fold the waist over twice and then added 13.5" of elastic. I pressed them to crisp up the seams. The flower was made using the same tutorial I posted here.

My pictures are lit terribly because I took them all at night! Please excuse the lighting problem!

3 comments:

  1. I love the patches for the boys super cute!! New follower btw...plese check out my blog for book club if you are interested--connie, measuredbytheheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cute! I must give these a try :)

    ReplyDelete

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!