Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Easy DIY Upcycled, Reusable Swiffer Cloths

swiffer
I don’t love to clean. I also don’t like to spend money on cleaning products. To avoid buying disposable swiffer cloths, I had just been using fleece tucked around the flat end of the swiffer broom and washing the cloth after every use. I could use an improvement.


Sewing strips of fabric to a microfiber fleece cloth increases the dust-catching surface area; allowing more dust to be collected. The microfiber cloth (and strips) attract dust.
At least, my kids’ PJ’s that are made out of the same fabric are like dust and hair magnets.* 
The jersey t-shirt fabric also collects dust and hair quite well.IMG_5091
I made two versions of reusable swiffers. Both are made entirely of scrap sand some old pink fleece fabric I wasn’t going to use for anything else (I have boys).
I made the shaggy cloth from t-shirt yarn.

Here are brief instructions to share with you how I am making the world a greener, cleaner place. (And I’m saving money.)
Grab your scrap fabric. This is an easy project you can make quickly.

I started by measuring my swiffer. 4” x 10”.
IMG_5081

Then I got out my fleece scraps and cut twelve 1”x3” strips.IMG_5082


I cut a 5” x 10” piece of pink fabric for the base. I also cut  two 4” x 2” pieces for the straps which secure the base piece to the broom.
  IMG_5088

I drew some chalk lines on the base piece where I wanted to stitch my green fleece strips. They helped guide me to sew in a straight line. Make sure not to sew the green strips too close to the edges. You’re going to attach the straps right near the edge and you don’t want to sew through your green strips.
Note: Backstitch all seams. You’ll be washing this after every use and you don’t want it to fall apart.
IMG_5089 

Finally, you’ll sew the 2”x4” strips to the edges. Only sew them to two sides, leaving the ends of the cloth open. This makes it easier to get the cloth on and off of the broom.
IMG_5095
IMG_5091

Colorful cleaning supplies make cleaning a tiny bit more fun. And this design picks up dirt and dust really well. I was able to make four of them during one afternoon nap time!
 IMG_5096 
Note: To make the shaggy cloth with t-shirt yarn, cut some t-shirt yarn into about 3-4” strips. Sew about 5 rows onto the base cloth and attach the straps as shown above!

*No PJ’s were harmed in the construction of these cloths.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!