Pages

Friday, July 20, 2012

Handmade: Children’s Gray Dress Pants

handmade gray children's dress pants with elastic waist
The children’s clothing industry lacks affordable dress clothes for little boys. I was forced to make my kid a pair of plain gray pants.
(I didn’t really mind. I do love handmade children's clothing, after all! Just check my Pinterest board. But I was annoyed about wasting time looking at eight stores for dress pants. I couldn’t find any gray-colored options without cargo pockets.)

My little guy is going to be a ring bearer in a friend’s wedding!  (Remember the pillow & garter I shared a few weeks ago?) They match the cute tie. But he needed pants. That were gray. ring bearer outfit for three-year old boyjuly 10 (8)
So I used the pattern at MADE for making pants. I’ve used it a few times before to make shorts. It is getting a little snug for my little guy. He wears a 3T or 4T.

These pants barely fit. The pictures were even taken before I did the hem! We might need a backup pair!

I added a little ribbon to show which is the back of the pants.
Since I don’t have a serger, I don’t want to show you the inside of this garment…I did zig-zag all my raw edges but it just isn’t very pretty.



Question: Are there any other free patterns you can recommend for making pants in larger sizes? I need a new go-to pants pattern.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, great job!
    We nominated you for The Versatile Blogger Award, check it out here: http://brilliantlikefireflies.blogspot.ca/2012/07/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! He's adorable in them!

    I noticed the same thing with little boys dress clothes, but it's even worse for babies! My son is going to be a ring bearer in my sister's wedding in Sept and we had the hardest time finding something for him to wear in 9 month size. I had to buy a little tux and then I'm going to have to alter the pants to make them fit his tiny waist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I bet size 9 months is hard to find dress clothing for. I haven't even considered what my 1-year-old will be wearing to this wedding. And I'm thinking of making these pants again. I'll have to enlarge the pattern, I'd like to do a flat front and a faux fly!

      Delete

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!