Pages

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

“Flock of Birds” Yoga Skirt

updated yoga skirt with freezer paper stenciled birds (1.11)
If you’ve followed my blog for awhile, you’ll recognize that this skirt is a re-do of this one. Here’s what the original looked like:
IMG_4770
I just didn’t love the way the binding worked. I even had one person comment that they would’ve hemmed it instead of binding. I haven’t worn the skirt all summer. So I decided to re-do it.
I started by ripping off all of the binding. I had zig-zagged it, so it took forever. (Who zig-zags binding? I don’t recommend it.)
updated yoga skirt with freezer paper stenciled birds (2)
I turned it under 1/4” and hemmed it. updated yoga skirt with freezer paper stenciled birds (3)
Ok. Actually I had to do a few hems before it looked decent. I’m self-taught when it comes to sewing. And still learning. Especially when working with knits. updated yoga skirt with freezer paper stenciled birds (7)
Next, I decided it was too plain. So I contemplated several freezer paper desigins…dandelions, (too hard to cut, since I hand-cut all my stencils, no Silhouette cutter!), butterflies (too little-girly for me to wear…and finally settled on birds.
If you need a freezer-paper stenciling tutorial, go here. updated yoga skirt with freezer paper stenciled birds (10)
I was inspired by this vintage skirt.updated yoga skirt with freezer paper stenciled birds (9)
I am happy with the outcome of this skirt’s refashion. updated yoga skirt with freezer paper stenciled birds (11)
I obviously need to work on my sewing skills when it comes to using binding. That stuff is just hard for me to work with. Anyone else find it difficult? Any hints to share?

5 comments:

  1. loving the bird stencil!!! The re-do is way better than the original. ~Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. This skirt is soooo CUTE... It looks so comfy and flattering....
    I LOVE the birds. Good choice...
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Binding is right up there with zippers. Not my favorite thing to do. I love the skirt. It looks super comfy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know I'm not the only one who dislikes binding. I think I should try the 'real' method, where you sew the back on first. I have always done the 'sandwich' method, which really isn't a method, but just quickly sews both sides at once. Maybe I would be more successful with that method.

      Delete

Spelling or grammar will not be criticized, so there's no reason not to leave me a comment!